Monday, September 26, 2011

Ms Miss Missus

How fantastic when a fellow blogger mentions your blog in her blog!  Ms. Demeanour (http://msdemeanoursingapore.blogspot.com/) is a fellow expat living in Singapore.  She ran into my Lucky Face guy (see http://snippetsfromsingapore.blogspot.com/2010/09/lucky-face.html) and she wrote about my experience in her blog!  As a result of her commenting on my Lucky Face post, I read some of my old blog entries and reminisced about Singapore.

After reading some old blog posts and looking at photos, my teen and I realized we miss Singapore.  A natural feeling I'm sure.  Although delighted to be home, that travel and adventure bug is still in me (and I doubt it will ever disappear).  Of course, there are things we don't miss.  The 'Excuse me Miss, you have a Lucky Face' experience ended up being somewhat fun.  But I also had an experience on Orchard Road one day that wasn't so fun (yet I'm writing about it so it was worth it!).

I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant.  It was hot.  Really hot.  I was walking (more like waddling) down Orchard Road after a yoga class and was, for some reason, rushing to get the train.  Who knows why I was rushing... I walk fast.  Anyway, I hear a voice... "Miss, do you have some change?"  OK.... asking a whale sized pregnant woman in the scorching heat while she huffed hurriedly down the road if she has some change was the first mistake.  I stopped... probably mostly because I welcomed a break from walking!  Nah... he walked in front of me and I didn't really have much of a choice.  I think I just stared at him (likely with imaginary bullets darting from my eyes).  He told me all about how he was not from Singapore and needed medicine and had no money.  I told him to go to the hospital.  He pulled up his shirt and showed me a fake tube and bag... then he showed me a piece of paper with Ibuprofen = $12 written on it.  He wanted me to give him $12 for his Ibuprofen.  I didn't know what to believe to be honest.  I told him to go to the hospital and I huffed off.  Oh yeah... I was meeting Terry for lunch.

I held onto the icky feeling for a while.  I was angry at being approached and lied to.  I couldn't believe someone had the audacity to approach a sweating pregnant woman.  Whoa, was I ever being self righteous, hey?  True, the guy who approached me was lying and taking advantage of people.  However, who knows what incidents in his life made him do what he did.  A short chat with Terry and I came down off my high horse.

And that's one of the reasons I'm marrying this truly wonderful man - Terry that is!  He can always win over the ego.  (Yes, I'll be a Missus!  Hard to believe for anyone that knows me!!)

That event in Singapore was a bit different from one from last Saturday in downtown St. John's.  An older gentleman was playing the accordion while I passed with my babe in my Snugli... he stopped playing and called out, "Oh, you're some cute!  You are sommmmmme cute!"  He was talking to the baby... not me;)

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment