Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Boot in the arse

Is it a Newfoundland saying?  I'm not sure, but we say it around here a lot.  I never heard anyone say it in Singapore.

About a week after I moved here, I knew I had to get in shape post-baby and also meet some other new moms.  It's funny how you come back 'home' and have to meet new friends.  When I moved away in the 90s and returned, almost all of my friends had also moved away.  It wasn't a great time for young people to find jobs.  This time, a few of my friends have also moved, but mainly I need new friends because 1) I now have a baby and won't be living the same lifestyle, and 2) I'm not currently working so am on a different schedule (aka... I have time in the day!  Well... sort of... time with baby:)

Regardless of the friend thing, I still had to get in shape!  So I joined bootcamp.  Yep.  Cardio Fit Bootcamp - http://www.cardiofitbootcamp.com/.  A post natal class.  We bring the babies!  It's awesome.  It's outside in nature!  I absolutely feel a difference (I'm no longer falling to the ground a second into my plank!) and I'm only 6 weeks into it. I have also met some wonderful moms... not to mention a mom who is my age and whom I went to school with!  Our instructor pushes us just enough.  She knows we're still recovering from shortened hamstrings, changed center of gravities, loosened joints, incisions, breastfeeding backs, and many other things (I dare not bore you with the wonderful things pregnancy and birth do to the body!).  It's a fantastic class and I am quite enjoying the boot in the arse to get fit again.  Yesterday's class was postponed.  One of the moms and I decided to get together on our own.  Needless to say, we pay money for bootcamp for a reason.  We had a little workout for sure..... but it wasn't near what our class gives us.  We aren't sore today.

I managed to boot myself in the arse enough to get going... a good step of course.  However, self discipline has always been a bit of a struggle for me.  I have managed well with things like eating healthy, exercising, studying, etc.  But I've also often struggled with disciplining myself when I don't really want to do it.  An early rise is a huge struggle.  Baby seems to boot me in the arse to do it... so has my teen - although I don't proclaim to be good at the whole morning routine with breakfast on the table and lunch made and getting to school with time to spare.  A few early morning runs over the years have been successful, but I cannot seem to get into a regular early rise routine.

And this struggle with self discipline must be why I cannot seem to boot myself in the arse to study.  I've registered for the last part of my Canadian Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation.  The exam is in less than two weeks and I haven't touched a resource yet!  The CHRP designation is growing in demand for HR positions in Canada.  It's a good thing to have if you're going to be CEO someday (haha... may as well dream big).  Singapore had its own HR professional standards.  I fell into the category of Professional Member at the Singapore Human Resources Institute.  I think it was the second highest level for the organization.  That was simply based on my experience.  In Canada, we have to write a couple of exams and continue our learning each year with workshops, etc.  That's not a problem.  Right now, I need to prepare for this final exam!  And I'm writing a blog while baby sleeps rather than studying.  The epitome of procrastination, no?

I need a boot in the arse!  My om for today: procrastinate less and discipline self more.... but that would mean no blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment