Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sparkles & Frills

I was a tomboy when I was a kid.  I wore as much black as possible when I was a teenager... with the odd red 'accent'... or aqua... aqua was in style at some point... so was peach.  As a young adult / student / single mother, I was practical, and still wore a lot of black and white because it was easy to 'mix and match'.  I liked blending in, yet being in simple style.

I spent a year living in fashion paradise (or hell depending on what part of the country you are in) in Singapore.  Heels (aka 4-5" stilettos) were a staple - worn with dresses, skirts, pants, jeans, shorts, you name it.  Frills, lace, floral, sparkles, and shine were IT.  When I worked in the financial district, ladies wore classy suits, but mostly skirts, dresses, heels, jewelry, and make-up.  They were girls!  And I think some of that girly-ness rubbed off on me.

I still love my Lu-Lu Lemons, t-shirts, black and white practical clothes, jeans, sneakers, flip flops, and hiking shoes.  But last night I attended an auction as a fundraiser for our local swim team, The Legends.  I wore a frilly purple shirt (purchased in Singapore), shiny earrings (a gift), and sparkly shoes (purchased gently used at Frenchy's).

There was a crowd in the house when I left - my teenage daughter's comment was, "Mom, you look great!  You're going to get compliments tonight!"  My brother tells me, "Where are YOU going?  I haven't seen you dress like that since.... your graduation or something."  Terry tells me I'm a Yummy Mummy.  Success!  :)  And off I go feeling like a million bucks.

Upon arrival, I realize I must walk slow... the floors are slippery and I'm not used to heels.  And oh, yeah, better monitor the shirt - it can fall a bit low.  But I felt good bidding on items at the silent auction along-side the well-to-do folk (I didn't outbid anyone on anything).  Then I feel something on my back.... and my friend accompanying me pushes something down my shirt.  Yep.  You got it.  My tag... a big red cardboard one... was hanging out of my shirt for all to see!  And I thought people were staring because I looked hot.

I carried on as if all was normal.  I did not slip on my sparkly heels.  My frills never fell too low.  I had fun bidding and meeting new people sitting at our table and laughing with the friends I went with.  And I realized how nice it is to be a girl sometimes.  Singapore was good to me.  I no longer have to blend in.  When you're a minority, you simply don't blend.  You have to accept that people will stare (not always in a good way).  People staring because I'm looking fine  (or have a tag hanging out of my shirt) is OK with me now.  I'm ready to show off my feminine side.  And I still have every intention of being CEO.

By the way, my teen is not like me.  She's having a Princess Party for her 18th birthday.  And one day maybe she'll be CEO too.

No comments:

Post a Comment