Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Asked. I Am Hearing.

OK, so if you've been following me, you probably know that I have another blog, Company Om.  Last year, I started a business.  In a nutshell, I help leaders, managers, and business owners overcome challenges, be more successful in their jobs and lives, and address people and relationship challenges in organizations. I use a mindful and holistic approach.

While developing and growing this business (still developing and growing!) I asked the universe for direction.  I asked the universe to help me know the signs.  I asked for guidance when I reached frustration or lack of knowledge about what to do next - this constantly happens but I've only recently started asking for help.

And I'm listening now.  And I think I hear.

Almost every client I coach on leadership, career development, or business has a need to find balance in his or her own personal life first.  This often involves physical health, emotional health, relationships, identifying passions, and making time for self.  Yeah - it's wellness.

I've ALWAYS been an advocate for holistic wellness.  I have preached to my own team and family that we need to take care of all the spokes on the wheel - physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual - in order to be truly healthy.  I believe in using natural remedies before turning to medicines (don't get me wrong, I love that medicine can cure cancer and give someone a mechanical heart... soon anyway).  I believe attitude and mind management have a HUGE impact on our physical health.  And I've talked about and debated these topics and encouraged family, friends, clients, and those I lead to try these ideas on too.

And the world is changing.  My belief system isn't so wonky anymore.  I am surrounded by people and organizations that have the same beliefs!  I am loving it!

When I was 20, I started my Dietetics degree.  When our class toured the facility in a local hospital and I saw that the Dietitians were creating diets for sick people, I thought, "Wow, I cannot do that for the rest of my life."  So I left the program after two years (1/2 way through) - and not alone! Unfortunately, I was not shown the many ways Dietitians can impact the lives of others.  But nutrition has been a big part of my life ever since and I'm constantly learning about new research.... the last few months I've been changing my lifestyle to be 'Clean' - essentially, natural, unprocessed eating.

When I was 30, I completed my CanFit Pro course.  I wanted desperately to make fitness part of my career.  However, when I investigated becoming a personal trainer or fitness instructor, the salary could not come near my then salary and I was barely making ends meet as a single mom.  So I gave up on that idea then too.  But fitness was always a big part of my life too.  I danced since I was four, I ran since I was 18, I did yoga off and on since the 90s. I try all kinds of fitness classes and sports... aerobics in the 90s, snowboarding, hiking, skiing, bootcamp, kickboxing, hula hooping... just today I began Kettlebell classes!

So.  Why am I writing all this?  Well, now I'm 42.  And many of my clients need a balance in wellness. And it seems I have been meeting and getting connected with (aka attracting) many like-minded people that are involved with fitness, wellness, and health.

ALSO...... I've been presented with my own health issues for the first time ever.  I've been managing them for a few years now.  The good part of this is that it's given me insight.

Sooooooo...... and here's the kicker..... I asked.  I listened.  And I'm hearing.  I am adding a new coaching service to my business.  It's holistic wellness coaching.

I have known this for quite some time.  However, not having the letters after my name in a health profession blocked me from feeling I had the knowledge and ability to offer this.  But, I'm a good coach.  I'm a good leader.  I can kick butt.  I love this stuff.  And I LOVE seeing people fulfill their dreams and goals in life... in leadership... in holistic health.

This blog - Going Om - has, to date, been about my personal journey after returning home from a year living abroad and having a baby at 40 years old.  Now, it's shifting.  It will be about health and wellness - my personal journey and any stories or knowledge I might have to share to help you on your journey.

PLEASE send questions or comments anytime.  I am embarking on this journey with YOU.

Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment