Friday, June 7, 2013

My Crazy Cat Eats Earrings

So....  I live with a crazy cat.  I also live with a kind, yet strange, husband, a silly and weird teenager, and an active toddler that, let's be honest, challenges me at 42 years old (in a good way).  Oh!  And, I started my own business.

I'm stretched a little thin.

Yesterday, my toddler was being a typical curious almost 2-year old and figuring out that the bottom tray of the dishwasher rolls out.  So she rolled it out.  Onto my foot!  I screamed.  I mean, I really screamed.  Not at her.... just screamed out loud into the universe.  I have chronic pain that I've recently admitted to and started managing through diet and other methods.  One of the things with chronic pain is that your pain tolerance reduces.  I used to have a tremendously high pain threshold... now it's minimal.  And so, when I get a knock or the bottom tray of the dishwasher lands on my foot, it hurts.  And I scream.  It's not pretty, I admit.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I realized one of my earrings was missing.  AGAIN!  The cat took it.  She takes earrings and elastic bands and we either find them in strange hiding places or never find them at all.  Another pair of earrings gone... well, one earring gone, but who wears one earring?  Well... maybe, yes, some do... but I digress.  The point is.... I got frustrated at the cat.  I scowled and huffed and puffed.  I think I literally said, "Grrrr."

The craziness of the cat, strangeness of my husband, and weirdness of my teen must be rubbing off.

Is there something good out of this?  Yes, of course.

I've spent years developing myself.  So having these moments of frustration, anger, pain, etc. drive me insane.  HOWEVER.... my recovery time is less than five minutes in most cases.  OK, maybe I was grumpy for 10 minutes after the dishwasher tray episode (I do have a bruise).  In my defense, I was laughing after 10 minutes.

That's the lesson.  We all have all emotions.  We're human.  Identifying them, managing them, and recovering quickly from the bad ones is what it takes to be able to not let them take you over.  And I'm practicing this lesson a lot these days.

The cat, on the other hand, just gets to be crazy and no one questions it.  Lucky cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment