Monday, April 6, 2015

Breaking the Chains that Bind Us

I learned to snowboard about eight years ago.  I fell down a lot at first, but when I learned how to transition from side to side, it was magical.  I flowed down the hills with snow sprinkling in my face.  I even managed to learn how to jump...  a little bit.  It was like a ride of freedom.  I thought I'd never return to a pair of skis.

Fast forward to two years ago.  My family and I went on a ski/snowboard vacation in New Hampshire.  We'd been there before and loved it.  We typically spent about 4-5 consecutive days on the hills of two different resorts.  It was magnificent.  We really found a special kind of joy in these experiences.  Until that year.

If you follow me, you know I experience chronic pain.  About three years ago, it started to get worse. I managed to get through life in dull pain but never having to negotiate any of my physical activities. Until that year.

After my first day boarding, I thought I was done.  I managed a 1/2 day the following couple of days. I think I took a day off.  And on my final day, I changed to skis.  I was falling and my neck was in so much pain that I succumbed to taking pain killers (something I rarely do... except when boarding).  I just couldn't do it anymore.  The magic was gone.  So I hopped on a pair of skis.

Skiing was dreadful.  I couldn't find my ski legs.  It had been several years since I'd been on them. Fear of hurting myself built up inside me.  I had never been afraid of a ski hill... until then.

It was my last time on a ski hill until this past weekend.  I just couldn't bring myself to go last year. As my husband and I glided along in the ski lift, my heart actually started to pound.  I was nervous!?!? I'd been excited in the past.  But this was different.  I was full of fear that I wasn't going to make it down the hill.

The first ride was a bit tough.  I had to stop several times.  I went slow.  I felt like a beginner (although I wasn't falling so all was well).

The second ride was better.  The third ride was joyful.  I turned on my tunes and flowed down the hill in harmony with the snow and music.  I rested when I needed to, maybe once.  And I stopped comparing myself to how I once was.  I stopped trying to be a great snowboarder and started just being the snowboarder enjoying the slow transcendence down the hill.  The remainder of the day was more of the same.

I was beginning to break the chains that were binding me for two years.  I was enjoying the moment. I was managing my body.  I was doing what I could and not forcing it to be different.  And I wasn't afraid anymore.

I had a 1/2 day on the hill.  That was it.  I was wiped afterwards.  The next day I was sore and tired. But it was a breakthrough!  It was worth it.

I reminded myself that I need to be where I am... but I also need to find the cracks and break the chains.  I felt like I was learning a lesson on the hill from my mat (yoga mat).  Stirum sukum - steady and easy.  A yoga pose is best when steady and easy.  My boarding was best when it was steady and easy.  I couldn't force anything more than what I could do, but I could push just to the limit.

At the end of the day, I had forgotten I was fearful of the hill earlier that day.  I felt like I had overcome a huge hurdle.  It was just the beginning, but that's how the chains that bind us are broken.  One clasp at a time.









No comments:

Post a Comment